Paul van Dyk - VONYC Sessions 2013
52 weeks, 52 radio shows, transmitted around the world on 60 + leading stations, in which Paul van Dyk brought over 600 tracks to the ears of VONYC Sessions ever-ready listenership in 2013. That though was the easy part! The audio artisan's end-of-year challenge is to refine those playlists down into the most requested best of the best. From twelve richly packed months of Radio tracklists, he's landscaped those first-among-equal tunes into 'the-year-that-was' mix - PvD's definitive 2013 encapsulation.
That Jan-to-December sonic-ride naturally includes tracks from some of electronic music's best-known practitioners. W&W, Ferry Corsten, Omnia, Cosmic Gate and many others are joined on its discs by newer-bloods, as 'VONYC 2013' delivers the latest/greatest studio-ware from the likes of Protoculture, Maarten de Jong, Estiva and Las Salinas. After another standout VANDIT year 'VONYC Sessions 2013' also kisses the speakers with a wealth of the label's audio. Sporting 2013 floor-quakes from Judge Jules, Alex M.O.R.P.H., Giuseppe Ottaviani and Shato & Paul Rockseek, naturally there's also much from the maestro himself.
So sit back, hit up that Play button and enjoy the 2013 ride all over again!
The first mix heads straight into the thick of it, flashing back to summer highs with PvD & Arnej's techno-rific 'We Are One 2013'. From there van Dyk reaches multiple points on the stylistic compass, building sonic mood and range into the mix's map. Las Salinas' 'Say Another What' brings tech eclecticism, whilst the deep-dive of 'Immersion' from Omnia and Alexander Popov's autumnal 'Moscow Subway' splice in deliciously moody prog-trance shades.
Sweeping up the midsection comes Alex M.O.R.P.H. & Jerome Isma Ae's propellant 'Bang', hotly chased by his new VANDIT slam-dunk 'Magnum'. Through the infectious, intense frequencies of W&W/Ummet Ozcan co-production 'The Code' and the vocal enigma of Nick The Kid & The Nameless Girl's 'Bright Light', 'VONYC Sessions' revisits the spring. Delivering the mix its conclusion, Paul invokes the atmospheric aura of his own 'Lost In Berlin' and the self-propelled drum drama of Simon Patterson's 'The One'.
"Compiling the annual VONYC Sessions album is one of the most demanding, yet fulfilling tasks I do in a year", says van Dyk. "Selecting the best of the best from your most requested tracks in any 12 month period - especially one as alive with good music as 2013, is always a challenge. The perspective it brings to the end of each year though is the reward. With the release of this 'VONYC Sessions', collectively I feel we've brought a picture-perfect representation of the year. Hopefully its one you'll return and listen to many times in the future and remember this great year that was!"
Disc 2 opens in inspired mash-up mode, fusing Ferry Corsten's latest 'Diss' with the emotional sear of PvD & Plumb's 'I Don't Deserve You'. 'Open My Eyes' makes it a van Dyk double and again opens the mix's themes up wide. In quick succession the wistful trance of Protoculture's 'Talisman', Heatbeat & Chris Schweizer's tech-elec threat 'Nasty' and Estiva's rapacious 'Dino Drums' all take their turn to hold sway.
'VONYC's mercury continues to rise with the introduction of some pure form trance courtesy of Giuseppe Ottaviani's 'Earthbeat' and Matt Davey's much-spun spin on the classic 'Greece '2000'. The Christian Burns/PvD team-up 'We Are Tonight' and the big-room bombast of 'Super Dad' (the latest from Richard Durand) keep both tempo & tone spiked. Its final minutes bring the climactic audio combustion of Shato & Paul Rockseek's early summer club-crusher 'Deer Friends', Maarten De Jong's fierce 'Face The World' and Cosmic Gate crowd-rousing/rocking 'So Get Up'.
- 1. Paul van Dyk & Arnej - We Are One 2013 (Intro Radio Mix) (04:07)
- 2. Genix & Las Salinas - Say Another What (Radio Mix) (03:30)
- 3. Omnia - Immersion (Radio Edit) (03:50)
- 4. Alexander Popov - Moscow Subway (Radio Edit) (03:30)
- 5. Mark Sixma - Requiem (Radio Edit) (03:42)
- 6. W&W & Ummet Ozcan - The Code (Radio Edit) (02:45)
- 7. Max Graham - The Evil ID (Radio Edit) (03:45)
- 8. Alex M.O.R.P.H. & Jerome Isma-Ae - Bang! (Radio Edit) (03:40)
- 9. Judge Jules feat. Christina Novelli - Collide (Solis & Sean Truby Radio Edit) (04:20)
- 10. Las Salinas & Elad Efrati - Nothing Lasts (Radio Edit) (04:29)
- 11. Las Salinas - Chipsy Kings (Radio Edit) (04:20)
- 12. Nick The Kid presents The Nameless Girl - Bright Light (Digital Self & Tek-Tonic Mix) (07:41)
- 13. Judge Jules - Fiber (Radio Edit) (04:29)
- 14. Alex M.O.R.P.H. presents Corti Organ - Magnum (Radio Edit) (03:41)
- 15. Tristan D & Tangle presents Nu-State - Vertigo (Original Mix) (05:07)
- 16. Judge Jules - Phenomenology (Radio Edit) (04:36)
- 17. SHato & Paul Rockseek - The Hunt (Radio Mix) (03:010)
- 18. Paul van Dyk feat. Michelle Leonard - Lost In Berlin (Giuseppe Ottaviani Radio Edit) (04:28)
- 19. Ben Nicky & James Dymond - Refresh (Original Mix) (07:11)
- 20. Simon Patterson feat. Lucy Pullin - The One (Radio Edit) (03:14)
- 21. Paul van Dyk - VONYC Sessions 2013 (Presented by Paul van Dyk) (Full Continuous Mix, Pt. 1) (73:58)
- 22. Ferry Corsten - Diss! (Original Mix Edit) (03:24)
- 23. Paul van Dyk feat. Plumb - I Don't Deserve You (Jerome Isma-Ae Radio Edit) (03:33)
- 24. Paul van Dyk feat. Kyau & Albert - Open My Eyes (Kyau & Albert Radio Edit) (03:57)
- 25. Protoculture - Talisman (Radio Edit) (03:56)
- 26. Andrew Bayer - England (Original Mix Edit) (04:11)
- 27. Heatbeat & Chris Schweizer - Nasty (Radio Edit) (04:15)
- 28. Maarten De Jong - Wave Glider (Radio Edit) (03:19)
- 29. Estiva - Dinodrums (Radio Edit) (03:16)
- 30. DNS Project - Confront (Radio Edit) (03:46)
- 31. Three Drives - Greece 2000 (Matt Davey Radio Edit) (03:09)
- 32. Giuseppe Ottaviani - Earthbeat (Radio Edit) (03:54)
- 33. Las Salinas - Bada Bing (Daniel Garrick Radio Mix) (03:22)
- 34. Christian Burns & Paul van Dyk - We Are Tonight (Las Salinas Radio Edit) (04:17)
- 35. Paul van Dyk feat. Sue McLaren & Arty - The Sun After Heartbreak (Woody van Eyden Radio Edit) (03:35)
- 36. Woody van Eyden & Maarten de Jong - It's A Shark! (Maarten de Jong Mix) (05:47)
- 37. Richard Durand - Super Dad (Original Mix Edit) (02:32)
- 38. Maarten de Jong - Face The World (Radio Edit) (03:51)
- 39. SHato & Paul Rockseek - Deer Friends (Radio Edit) (03:34)
- 40. Cosmic Gate - So Get Up (Radio Edit) (03:41)
- 41. Rick Mitchells - Rockin' Steady (Radio Edit) (03:22)
- 42. Paul van Dyk - VONYC Sessions 2013 (Presented by Paul van Dyk) (Full Continuous Mix, Pt. 2) (69:51)