Paul van Dyk - (R)Evolution: The Remixes
Last year, through his sixth artist album, electronic music legend Paul van Dyk changed up perceptions of the PvD sound, wholesale. Over the course of 2012, ‘EVOLUTION’s multiverse tracklist spawned five single salesâ€ chart smashes, an epic, globeâ€circling 150+ date tour, sustained fan & press veneration and an everâ€widening stylistic scope of DJ support.
Now that ‘the originals’ have been established, the time has come to let the remixers speak as Paul’s evolution becomes an outâ€andâ€out revolution! Handpicked by the man himself â€ from the readyâ€toâ€break to the firmly established â€ the remix gathering has assembled. Let the reworks begin!
“Naturally, the original versions of EVOLUTION’s tracks were my and my coâ€producers visions. Toâ€date, the singles have brought some wonderful, creative remixes with them – ones that blew me away when I heard them and which I played inâ€club and on the radio throughout 2012. They were the seeds for this album; now is the right time to push the boundaries of ‘EVOLUTION’ that bit further” - Paul van Dyk, Berlin, January 2013.
Comprising 17 freshâ€offâ€theâ€desk reworks from a full company of van Dyk’s fellow production studionauts, this is where evolution ends and fullâ€scale revolution breaks out.
Sowing the uprising’s first seeds is the production brotherhood of Woody van Eyden and Alex M.O.R.P.H., who are respectively tasked with retakes of ‘Sun After Heartbreak’ and ‘Such A Feeling’ (aka ‘Verano’). Drawing on a wealth of nirvana harmonics, thermal synths and Sue McLaren’s and Elijah King’s vocal talents, they reposition PvD’s original versions in an entirely new light… and time of the night.
Opening the tempo & tone throttle that little bit wider, musical mutineers Kyau & Albert, Maarten De Jong and John O’Callaghan zoomâ€in on additional peakâ€time aspects. Their radical interpretations of ‘Open My Eyes’, ‘Symmetries’ and ‘I Don’t Deserve You’ levy drums, percussion and distortion that are altogether more floorâ€ atomic in nature.
The popularity and musical latitude of ‘I Don’t Deserve You’ emphasize this Plumbâ€vocalled peach with two further reconfigurations. Having already been voted one of the 15 biggest trancers of the year on Armin van Buuren’s ASOT radio show, ‘Deserve’ gets some house flavour into her system. Dubbing up the vocal, Gabriel Ben lets the hats hiss, the percs ride and the rhythms flow on his mix. Meanwhile, another American producer WAWA rolls one big piano moment in after another, inciting ravenous uplift and fanning ‘(R)Evolution’s flames even further.
Taking things momentarily deeper and moreâ€subversively progressive, the Directors Cut mix seizes on ‘Love Ammunition’s lyrical metaphor. Michelle Leonard’s vocals scorch the room, underpinning a potent groove and sureâ€shot drop. The album stays with her redolent tones as Giuseppe Ottaviani takes control of ‘Lost In Berlin’, building it up into a mainline titan.
With PvD’s full backing, other remixâ€revolutionaries are given free reign to take the music where they see fit. Pedro del Mar & Double V rock up a storm on the Sue McLarenâ€vocalled and Artyâ€coproduced ‘The Sun After The Heartbreak’. Elsewhere, youngblood Uzbek producer Exense masterminds the ‘Rock This’ rebuild. He tactically whips it into a powderâ€keg progressive piece, holding back the pitchâ€bending synths and rousing a titular shout to the break’s final precipice. Elsewhere, audio guerrillas like Niels von Ahorn, Robert Mint, Nick Callaghan & Will Atkinson and others perform coup after coup with eclectic, thrilling reworks that build into the consummate ‘EVOLUTION’ revision.
- 1. Paul van Dyk feat. Austin Leeds & Elijah King - Such A Feeling (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix) (07:10)
- 2. Paul van Dyk feat. Plumb - I Don't Deserve You (John O'Callaghan Remix) (07:31)
- 3. Paul van Dyk feat. Austin Leeds - Symmetries (Maarten de Jong Remix) (07:14)
- 4. Paul van Dyk feat. Michelle Leonard - Lost In Berlin (Giuseppe Ottaviani Remix) (07:33)
- 5. Paul van Dyk feat. Sue McLaren & Arty - The Sun After Heartbreak (Pedro Del Mar & Double V Remix) (06:54)
- 6. Paul van Dyk feat. Tyler Michaud & Fisher - All The Way (Steve Wish Remix) (06:11)
- 7. Paul van Dyk feat. Caligola - If You Want My Love (Niels von Ahorn Remix) (07:00)
- 8. Paul van Dyk feat. Giuseppe Ottaviani - A Wonderful Day (Robert Mint Remix) (05:36)
- 9. Paul van Dyk feat. Sue McLaren - We Come Together (Chriss Ortega Remix) (07:48)
- 10. Paul van Dyk feat. Sue McLaren & Arty - The Sun After Heartbreak (Woody van Eyden Remix) (06:33)
- 11. Paul van Dyk feat. Plumb - I Don't Deserve You (Gabriel Ben Remix) (07:42)
- 12. Paul van Dyk feat. Michelle Leonard - Love Ammunition (Directors Cut Mix) (06:45)
- 13. Paul van Dyk - Rock This (Exense Remix) (07:00)
- 14. Paul van Dyk feat. Kyau & Albert - Open My Eyes (Kyau & Albert Remix) (06:22)
- 15. Paul van Dyk feat. Sue McLaren & Arty - The Sun After Heartbreak (Nick Callaghan & Will Atkinson Remix) (09:02)
- 16. Paul van Dyk feat. Plumb - I Don't Deserve You (WAWA Remix) (05:27)
- 17. Paul van Dyk feat. Austin Leeds & Elijah King - Such A Feeling (Radio Edit) (02:57)