W&W: “We are still ‘new’.”September 24th, 2012
Rewind 4 years and you’ll find two Dutch boys at the verge of a breakthrough. Forward to today and you’ll be amazed by the transformation that W&W has gone through. 4 years after they set the tone with single ‘Mustang’, Willem and Ward take the lead as one of the fastest growing duo’s in EDM, having grown into fully fledged DJ’s, producers and label-owners. Hot off the release of their ‘Mainstage Vol.1’ compilation, we hooked up with the driven duo and asked them all about their future plans, copycats and outgrowing the ‘new talent tag’.
Hey guys! How are you two doing today and where can we find you?
W&W:”We’re doing great, thank you! At the moment we’re in the studio working on new stuff!”
This week marks an important milestone for you both: the release of the Mainstage compilation! Is the time ripe for the very first W&W compilation?
W&W:”We thought it was! We received a lot of great music lately so we figured now was the perfect timing!”
It features quite some exclusives and unreleased tracks! Was it hard to make the selection for the album, or was there plenty to choose from?
W&W:”The hard part was that there was plenty to choose from! We had a really hard time doing the final selection! There was just so much good music to choose from. But in the end we’re very happy with the result and we’re thankful to all the producers who sent us their exclusive stuff!”
There’s a few musical weapons of new talents on there as well. Which ones just had to be on it?
W&W:”The new single from Rick Mitchells ‘Sub Zero’ is one of those tunes that had to be on there! Also the new EP from Husman is included. But there are a lot of new faces on it as well, like Russian producer Inners who made a great track ‘Silhouettes’, David Gravell with ‘Fire Away’ and Darren Morfitt’s ‘Don’t Mess With Us’.
A few years back, you guys were named ‘new talents’. Nowadays, you’re label-owners, have your own successful show and play the biggest clubs and festivals. Do you feel that you’re both past that ‘new talent’ tag?
W&W:”We are still ’new’, we’ve only been in this scene for a couple of years. Now that we have the opportunity to support other new talent doesn’t mean that we’re past that ourselves.”
Only 6 months ago, you launched the Mainstage label. How has the label been doing since?
W&W:”It’s been doing really good! We’ve had great releases so far which all receive really good feedback from both DJ’s and the crowd!”
What’s coming up on Mainstage in the next following months? A new W&W in the pipeline as well?
W&W:”Coming up right after the Mixcompilation and the samplers which come along, are new EP’s from Husman and Rick Mitchells. Later this year we’ll be releasing our own new single which is called ‘Lift Off’.”
The W&W sound has grown into a real phenomenon, and is tried to be copied by others. Unlike some, you guys have always been blasting that energetic sound, ever since ‘Mustang’. Do you two see it as a compliment, or is it simply a sign of the times, that it’s that particular sound that’s doing well today?
W&W:”The key element in our music and in our sets has always been energy. Of course we developed our sound and we will continue to do so in the future but for us the most important part about our music is that it’s energetic and danceable. Of course we are happy and see it as a compliment that our music is doing good and is getting copied by others.”
On September 24th, you guys are playing your third ASOT night in Ibiza’s Privilege. What’s it like playing in front of 10,000 clubbers in a place as EDM-minded as Ibiza?
W&W:”Privilege is an amazing club! We’ve been there a couple of times as visitors and since then we’ve always wanted to play there! So we were really happy when we heard that Armin was going to bring ASOT to the world’s biggest club!”
How long will it take until the first Mainstage night kicks off? ;)
W&W:”Haha we don’t have any plans for that yet, but it’s certainly something we will keep in mind!”
What does the gig schedule look like in the next coming weeks? Anything we can’t miss?
W&W:”First up is Nocturnal Wonderland in San Bernardino. Then we’re off to Ibiza for the closing of ASOT @ Privilege. Then we’re going to California again to play Sutra in Orange County and Beyond Wonderland in San Francisco. There’s a lot more so be sure to check out the tour dates on our Facebook page.”
- Coe - Unka (Radio Edit) (03:07)
- Delerium feat. Sarah McLachlan - Silence (W&W vs Jonas Stenberg Remix) (05:28)
- Gal Abutbul - Liel (Radio Edit) (03:09)
- Wezz Devall - We Are The Future (Radio Edit) (03:20)
- Daleri - Touché! (Radio Edit) (03:52)
- W&W - Invasion - ASOT 550 Anthem (Radio Edit) (02:48)
- Hardwell & Showtek - How We Do (Radio Edit) (02:57)
- W&W - White Label (Radio Edit) (03:12)
- Camilo Santi & Krzysztof Chochlow - Prime (W&W Edit) (03:41)
- Armin van Buuren feat. Ana Criado - Suddenly Summer (Norin & Rad Radio Edit) (04:27)
- Fabio XB - Atom (Radio Edit) (02:43)
- Inners - Silhouettes (Radio Edit) (02:33)
- Marcel Woods & W&W - Trigger (Original Mix) (06:00)
- Dash Berlin feat. Emma Hewitt - Waiting (W&W Radio Edit) (04:25)
- Husman - Memories Of You (Radio Edit) (03:08)
- Ali Wilson - Rays Of Shamash (Radio Edit) (03:20)
- Armin van Buuren presents Gaia - J'ai Envie De Toi (Tom Fall Radio Edit) (03:33)
- W&W - Mainstage 2012 (Full Continuous DJ Mix, Pt. 1) (70:18)
- Arnej - The Second Coming (Intro Mix Edit) (04:03)
- Darren Morfitt - Don't Mess With Us (Radio Edit) (02:41)
- Julians - Plan A (Radio Edit) (03:19)
- Tritonal feat. Jenry R - Something New (Rafael Frost Remix) (08:06)
- Omnia - Infina (Radio Edit) (03:50)
- Orjan Nilsen - Filthy Fandango (Radio Edit) (02:48)
- Markus Schulz vs Ferry Corsten - Loops & Tings (Radio Edit) (03:26)
- W&W - Invasion (ASOT 550 Anthem) (Heatbeat Radio Edit) (03:00)
- W&W - Moscow (Husman Radio Edit) (02:56)
- Husman - EDM (Radio Edit) (03:010)
- W&W - Shotgun (Radio Edit) (02:28)
- Aly & Fila meet Roger Shah feat. Adrina Thorpe - Perfect Love (Radio Edit) (03:41)
- David Gravell - Fire Away (Radio Edit) (03:42)
- Andrew Rayel feat. Jano - How Do I Know (Radio Edit) (03:44)
- Thomas Ulstrup - Jack Of All Trades (Radio Edit) (02:47)
- Skytech - What's Wrong (Skytech Stadium Radio Edit) (03:41)
- Rick Mitchells - Sub Zero (Radio Edit) (02:31)
- W&W - Mainstage 2012 (Full Continuous DJ Mix, Pt. 2) (74:02.9999)