tyDi – now is the right timeAugust 20th, 2012
The rising star of tyDi shines brighter than ever. His ‘Shooting Stars’ album still moves the crowds, he’s hot off an extensive and busy tour around Europe and the US and he’s just released the first volume of his very own compilation series: ‘Global Soundsystem: California’. That’s exactly why he’s our artist of the week!
Hey Tyson! Congrats on the release of the first volume of your Global Soundsystem series. Has this always been part of your master plan, a dream you’ve had for a long time?
tyDi:”Heya! Yeah I’ve always wanted to release an official mix compilation, I’m surprised that it took me so long. I’ve spent so much time on my own artist albums, touring and radio show; but now is the right time to do a mix album.“
You dedicated the first volume to California, where the EDM scene is absolutely booming now. You’ve seen a lot of parties and events in the meantime, what makes the US the next place-to-be-for EDM?
tyDi:”The USA is just loving dance music right now, it’s all over the media and mainstream radio. It took the US a long time to catch up to the rest of the world with EDM, but they’re finally there.. and they’re doing it right!”
You recently made the US your second home, does it feel like home there yet? What do you miss about Australia?
tyDi:”Honestly I don’t really feel like I have a home! I’m travelling so much right now that even my own apartment feels like another hotel room. In the last 3 weeks I’ve played in Cyprus, London, Ibiza, Dallas, Detroit, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney. Luckily I’ve got 2 weeks here in Australia before I head back to LA for more touring.”
Back to the compilation! Was it hard to make the track selection, considering how incredibly eclectic it is?
tyDi:”It wasn’t too hard actually, I had a nice big batch of tunes that I wanted to include. It probably would have been harder if I stuck to my original plan which was a 2 disc mix. I wanted this mix to flow better than anything I’ve mixed before… each track had to be unique and showcase a different style, but overall the mix had to flow seamlessly. I also wanted to fit a lot of tracks on there so it never had a dull moment, my goal was quality AND quantity. It turned out if I made the mix across two CD’s then I would have had to ‘water it down’ with a few filler tunes. I didn’t want to do that, so I decided to run with a single CD compilation. I couldn’t be happier with the finished product!”
It also features some exclusive remixes of your own tracks. Can you tell us a bit about those?
tyDi:”When I made Shooting Stars I was offered a lot of great remixes by artists that I love, unfortunately we didn’t always have the right time or opportunity to release them. GSS California was the perfect place for me to get these out, it’s also nice to give the mix album some exclusive material that people can’t get anywhere else.”
‘Acting Crazy’ made it to #1 on Sirius XM’s 20! Ever expected this tune to end so high?
tyDi:”I didn’t expect it, but I certainly hoped for it! Every artist wants radio exposure, I’m so lucky that one of my songs has been able to reach so many people around the world.”
You recently signed a publishing deal with Universal Music, congratulations! Are the big superstars lined up to work with you yet?
tyDi:”Yes we have some absolutely insane collabs lined up! I wish I could tell you who.. I can’t yet, but believe me it’s big. ;)”
Knowing you, you never stop producing! So now that you’ve finished the compilation, what are your production plans?
tyDi:”I’ve been quietly working on my next album, it’s well on its way now with about 10 songs completed. Exciting times ahead!”
Get ‘Global Soundsystem: California’ on iTunes now!
- Chicane & Vigri - Three (Radio Edit) (03:010)
- Fredda.L feat. Sandra Passero - Charades (Original Mix) (06:19)
- Ruby & Tony - Electric Lover (Original Mix) (06:55)
- Simone Anés feat. Abigail Bailey - Love Is A Battlefield (Original Radio Edit) (03:55)
- Andy Moor feat. Jessica Sweetman - In Your Arms (Rafaël Frost Remix) (08:07)
- Mimax - Insomnia (Original Mix) (08:24)
- Fond - Virus (Original Mix) (06:41)
- Andain - Turn Up The Sound (tyDi Remix) (07:03)
- Heatbeat - Extra Bacon (Radio Edit) (04:00)
- Ignas feat. Julie Thompson - Hold On (Maor Levi Club Mix) (07:27)
- D-Mad presents Yummy - Ahoy! (D-Mad Radio Edit) (03:22)
- UnClubbed - We Are The People (Danny Dove vs UnClubbed Remix) (03:17)
- Tenishia & Jan Johnston - As It Should (tyDi Remix) (06:55)
- tyDi feat. DJ Rap - Talking To Myself (Maison & Dragen Radio Edit) (03:00)
- Gareth Emery - The Saga (Radio Edit) (03:26)
- tyDi with Tenishia & Jennifer Rene - Greater Heights (Tom Fall Remix Edit) (03:41)
- tyDi - Sex, Lies & Still Oblivious (LTN Radio Edit) (03:48)
- tyDi feat. Brianna Holan - Never Go Back (Feel Remix) (07:30)
- tyDi - Global Soundsystem 2012: California (Full Continuous DJ Mix) (77:15)