Armada wishes you a great 2009!December 31st, 2008
2008 has undoubtedly been another interesting, booming year for music! The year has been treating Armada Music most kind and we didn’t only celebrate our fifth birthday, but also reached the memorable count of 1500 releases and welcomed three more labels: Re*Brand, Morrison Recordings and Ava Recordings. Yes, it’s been a good year.
We’d like to thank you for all your support and wish you all the best for the New Year!
Maykel, Sander, Ruben, Marije, Bastiaan, Svea, Ralf, Raya, Robert, Danielle, Dennis, Eveline, Mark, Massimo and Linda @ Armada Music
Nominations & Awards
* Number one twice in a row on the infamous DJ Mag Top 100.
* Trance Awards for: Best Resident at Club Amnesia, Ibiza. Best Album, ‘Imagine’. Best Radioshow, ‘A State of Trance’.
* Dutch Buma Cultuur Pop Award, most important Dutch musician award. For being an ambassador of Holland, for taking his music and sound throughout the whole world.
* IDMA Awards for Best European DJ & Best Radio Show ‘A State of Trance’.
* Beatport.com Award for Best Trance Artist.
* DJ Award for Best Trance DJ.
* Number 1 DJ in the Trance Addict Top 250 DJ Poll.
* ‘Imagine’ entered the Dutch Album Top 100 with a number one position, therewith being the first dance artist in Dutch music history to have ever achieved that.
* Number 1 Most Popular DJ in Australia.
* Number 2 Most Popular Producer in Australia.
* Award for Best Dance Tune 2008 at the Malta Music Awards, with ‘Tenishia feat. Kirsty Hawkshaw – Burning From The Inside’.
*Nominated for 3 Irish Dance Awards: Best Producer, Best DJ and Best Single on ‘Big Sky’. To vote: http://www.slick-dj.com/
Simon & Shaker:
* Nominated for 5 Spanish Dance Awards 2008: Best DJ, Best Progressive House DJ, Best Track on ‘Soultech!’, Best Remix on ‘Armin van Buuren – Sound of Goodbye’, Best Label: State Recordings.
*Nomination for a Best Remix Grammy Award on ‘Ne-Yo – Closer’.
Results DJ Mag Top 100 2008
# 1 Armin van Buuren
# 8 Markus Schulz
# 33 Umek
# 54 Sean Tyas
# 58 DJ Shah
# 60 John O’Callaghan
# 67 Laurent Wolf
# 72 Signum
Armada Music YouTube Channel
* Armin’s ‘In & Out of Love’ video most viewed Dutch music video alltime!
With more than 6,3 million views, the official music video of Armin’s team-up with Sharon den Adel on ‘In & Out of Love’ was the most viewed Dutch video alltime on YouTube.nl!
*Armada single, French production and worldwide hit ‘Laurent Wolf – No Stress’ is 6th on the list, with an impressive amount of 8,5 million views and together with ‘In & Out of Love’ is the only dance related video clip in the top 15 of the list.
*With more than 14.000 subscribers, and growing, the channel is on the 4th spot of the ‘Most Subscribed’ list.
In October 2008, we launched our new Armada video platform: www.armadamusic.tv . With the latest and classic music videos of their artist, interviews, backstage footage and special previews. You’ll find the most exclusive videos right there, even before it hits the YouTube channel.
On this website, you’ll find a great overview of our latest mix releases, and the ones you might have missed over the past months, all available for download after only one click. From the most recent Trance MiniMix to Signum’s Worldwide Trancesounds compilation, the tech-house album ‘Surfaces Vol. 1′ by Spanish housemasters Simon & Shaker and much more! Be sure to check it out and stay updated on your weekly dose of mixes!
Over the past 2 years, 50TranceTunes.com has been providing many trance fans with 15 editions filled with 50 of the best trance tracks around at that moment.
Four new imprints: AVA, Re*Brand & Morrison Recordings
Ava Recordings – Andy Moor
AVA Recordings started in early 2006 and has released several top quality tracks from producers like Joonas Hahmo, David West, Orkidea, Steve May, Damien Heck and, of course, label owner Andy Moor himself. Andy: ‘We will keep the same music policy, releasing quality melodic electronic dance music. We enjoy supporting new artists and working closely with them to develop and nurture their talent. 2009 will see the release of more artist albums, including my solo album, along with compilations and much more. We will be continuing on the path it has already started to create.
Morrison Recordings – Glenn Morrison
In a quest to find deeper, diverse and digging sounds, one must not look any further. Canadian producer Glenn Morrison is what you seek for. He joined forces with Armada and started the new Morrison Recordings imprint. Glenn puts it down best. Glenn: ‘There will be lots of amazing vocal projects through the label, with some of my favorite producers from around the world. We have artists like Robert Babicz, Gutterstylz, 16 Bit Lolita’s, Bill Hamel, Dj Yellow, Joris Voorn, Zoo Brazil, Mason, Tom Middleton, Musetta, and many more. I am overwhelmed by the constant support from the people in the industry and have wanted to take it to the next level as of late. Working with Armada is going to take that next level approach and turn it into reality.’
Re*Brand – Max Graham
In April 2008, ‘Mr. Owner of a Lonely Heart’, Max Graham partnered up with Armada Music to spread his Re*brand sound worldwide. ‘Re*Brand’, referring to the constant evolution of dance music and Max’ indefinable style. Ever since, the imprint has been providing the scene with several massive tunes, ranging from the new talents of Mat Zo, Patch Park and Tim Davison to Max’ own releases, like ‘Smack’ and ‘Cosmic Funk’. Teaming up with Armada was an easy choice for Max. Max: ‘I was looking for more of a family environment of people with the same goals, and Armada really fits that.’ In July 2008, Max released mix album ‘Cycles’, which was more than welcome to fans and EDM lovers and received massive international acclaim. The Re*Brand is an imprint fit for deep and diverse tracks.
State Recordings – Simon & Shaker
Spanish top producer team Simon & Shaker are ready to fill the headphones and speakers with their recognizable sound, filled with deep bass, playful details and echoing melodies. On this label you’ll find many of their own productions and remixes, but anything fitting their rough, tough yet mesmerizing sound is welcome to the State Recordings imprint.
Sold out Armada Night @ ADE & 14 Armada Nights @ Ibiza
During this year’s Amsterdam Dance Event, Armada Music celebrate big time in Amsterdam’s most beautiful club Paradiso. At the sold out event, DJ’s like Armin van Buuren, Glenn Morrison, ElSandro, StoneBridge, Mischa Daniels, Blake Jarrell and Markus Schulz fired up the crowd and opened ADE in style.
The summer season doesn’t only mean sun, sand and relaxing, but also a lot of music and clubbing. Armada hosts a weekly night in one of the world’s leading clubs, Club Amnesia in Ibiza. In the summer of 2008, Armada hosted 14 nights there, with DJ’s like Armin van Buuren, Blake Jarrell, Markus Schulz, Remy, Sharam, Matthew Dekay, Glenn Morrison, ATB and many more.
Armin van Buuren – Imagine
Armin van Buuren – A State of Trance 2008
DJ Shah – Songbook
Max Graham – Cycles
Markus Schulz – Amsterdam 08
DJ Remy /Markus Schulz – Armada@Ibiza
StoneBrdige – The Flavour, The Vibe
Armada Trance 2008
Simon & Shaker – Plastic
Laurent Wolf – No Stress
Orjan Nilsen – La Guitarra
Dash Berlin – Till The Sky Falls Down
Wamdue Project – King Of My Castle 2009
Armin van Buuren & DJ Shah feat. Chris Jones – Going Wrong
Mischa Daniels feat. Crown – Another Place
Glenn Morrison – No Sudden Moves
John O’Callaghan feat. Audrey Gallagher – Big Sky
Armin van Buuren feat. Sharon den Adel – In and Out of Love
Arnej – They Always Come Back
Win an Armada Music package!
Tell us about your favourite Armada moment in 2008, and you might win an Armada Music package, consisting of the limited Armin Only: Imagine DVD box, an Armada t-shirt and Trance 2008, mixed by Ruben de Ronde. Send your input and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org and you might start the year in Armada style!
Armin van Buuren
At the beginning of this year I thought it could never be better in comparishment with 2007, but I was wrong! With the release of Imagine, the several Armin Only`s all around the world and a lot of giggs it has been an amazing year for me. I want to thank everyone for the big support! Get ready for 2009:)!
Top 10 2008:
01. Armin van Buuren & DJ Shah feat. Chris Jones – Going Wrong (Armin van Buuren UR Remix)
02. Sunlounger – Lost (Club Mix)
03. Vengeance – Temptation (Denga vs. Manus Remix)
04. W&W – Arena (Original Mix)
05. Alex M.O.R.P.H. – Walk The Edge (Alex M.O.R.P.H. B2B Woody van Eyden Remix)
06. Orjan Nilsen – La Guitarra (Original Mix)
07. Armin van Buuren featuring Sharon den Adel – In And Out Of Love (Original Mix)
08. Mr. Sam featuring Claud9 – Cygnes
09. Mike Foyle – Pandora (The Blizzard Remix)
10. Signalrunners – These Shoulders
After 124 gigs across all 5 continents, with many memorable moments chronicled through the Global DJ Broadcast World Tour, composing the theme for Transmission and remixing Sia, passing the landmark of 50 releases on Coldharbour Recordings, and rounding off with my first studio Essential Mix, I must say that this has been without doubt one of my most successful and rewarding years. I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank everyone for the amazing inspiration and continued support you have given me over the past 12 months. I am really motivated to keep pushing my vision of trance, and I hope that 2009 will be even bigger and more exciting than ever before.
Top 10 2008
01. Mr. Pit – Shana (Duderstadt Progressive Dub)
02. Elevation – Biscayne
03. Wippenberg – Chakalaka
04. Cressida – 6am (Kyau & Albert Remix)
05. Markus Schulz – The New World (Markus Schulz Return To Coldharbour Remix)
06. Mike Foyle presents Statica – Bittersweet Nightshade
07. Majai – Phoria (Elevation Big Room Remix)
08. Timmy & Tommy – Full Tiltin (Joint Operations Centre Remix)
09. Cramp – Deadline
10. Arnej – The Ones That Get Away (Minimal Drum Dub)
2008 was a year we will remember as the turning point of music and clubland. It feels like there’s a new optimism on the horizon and even though Ibiza has gotten a serious beating by the local government, clubbing is not going to take it lying down. Personally, I’ve had a great year with a Grammy nomination for my Ne-Yo remix and some really good releases on the label – here’s to a fantastic 2009!
Top 10 2008:
01. Ne Yo – Closer (SB Dub)/Def Jam
02. Morgan Page – The Longest Road /Robbie Rivera)/Nettwerk
03. Gaz James – City of God/Toxic World
04. Adele – Hometown Glory (Axwell Remode)/XL
05. Bart B More – Finally (Original Bootleg)/CDR
06. Martin Solveig – I Want You (Laidback Luke)
07. Eric Prydz – Pjanoo/Data
08. The Drill – Piano Mano/Destined
09. ATFC – Juss A Beat/Defected
10. Nick Corline – Orfeu/Loud Bit
The year 2008 goes into my books as one of the best years of my life. I have been playing all around the world, from Asia to Mexico and Ibiza to Amsterdam. Besides that I have been working in the studio a lot as well, with releases like ‘Punta del Este’ and my tracks on DJ Remy`s label 68 and the most recent one on Simon & Shaker`s label State Recordings. In 2009 I will continue with what I`m doing right now, travel the world to entertain people in the clubs and work on new tunes. At the moment i`m working on a special project, more about that soon! Merry X-Mas everyone and all the best for 2009!
Top 10 2008:
01. Moussa Clarke – She Wants Him (Blake Jarrell Remix)
02. Annie – Our Love Is Better (Simon & Shaker Remix)
03. Energy 52 – Cafe Del Mar (Out of Office Remix)
04. Blake Jarrell – Punta Del Este
05. Astrid Suryanto – Distant Bar (Gutterstylz Remix)
06. Zoo Brazil – Kalle (Arno Cost Remix)
07. Filterheadz – A Day At The Beach
08. Mike Foyle pres Statica – Bittersweet Nightshade (Markus Schulz Remix)
09. Asha – JJ Tribute (Glenn Morrison & Bruce Aisher Remix)
10. The Killers – Human (Armin Van Buuren Remix)”
What can i say than this year was unbelievable for me. started with the collaboration with armin van buuren, we made a top 5 hit record with “going wrong” which took me around the world and ended into a top #58 position in the dj mag and a current #36 position at thedjlist and i’m still climbing and climbing.
You know me as a workoholic, I made 3 albums this year with dj shah – songbook, sunlounger – sunny tales and my magic island mix album which is just out and all singles from my albums worked very well like sunlounger – lost which was #1 at beatport for a lot of weeks or also dj shah ft adrina thorpe – back to you which entered on #2. i also signed to a new management and made a label deal with armada for my magic island label and started also my own magic island radio show. so i can say 2008 was my best year so far and also a year with a lot of changes.
My thank goes to all fans friends and mates of the scene who supported me. I’m really looking forward to 2009!
Wish you all a balearic x-mas and a happy new year
Top 10 2008:
01. armin van buuren & dj shah ft chris jones – going wrong (magic island mix) armind
02. sunlounger – lost (original mix) magic island
03. dj shah ft adrina thorpe – back to you (original club mix)
04. black pearl – coral sea (original mix) shah – music
05. purple mood – chinese theatre (original mix) shah – music
06. sunlounger – sunny tales (original intro mix) magic island
07. dj shah ft inger hansen – don#t wake me up (san antonio harbour mix) armada
08. lange – out of the sky (original/kyau & albert mix) nebula
09. oceanlab – sky falls down (dj shah remix) anjunabeats
10. armin van buuren ft jaren – unforgivable (original mix) armind
2008, Surely happy with what we have achieved this year! We have traveled quite a bit with our music, which took us far down to Australia & New Zealand, and also to some crazy gigs in Central Europe!! Visited Amsterdam and the Armada Offices in July, to see the heart of an incredible Record Label which stands in the highest position in the Dance Music scene!! Locally in Malta, we have won ‘Best Dance Tune 2008 Award’ at the Malta Music Awards and played big events like Creamfields Malta, and the Knockout Music Festival with almost 9000 people attending. Also have to mention last 7th of December when Armin visited our shores and called us on stage while playing our track ‘Burning from the Inside’… truly amazing and something we surely wont forget!
Regarding music production, we did slow down a bit at the start of the year as we were living in 2 different countries for a while and we did our music production over the internet, but we are promising a year full of Tenishia Music next year with big projects in the pipeline and a ‘TENISHIA LIVE’ event in Malta!
Happy Xmas and a happy New Year to Everyone.. May it all be filled with…. GOOD MUSIC!!!
Top 10 2008:
01. Orlie & Martie – White Flower (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix)
02. Anhken – Transport
03. Tenishia ft. Tiff Lacey – Burning from the Inside
04. Nic Chagall – Sun Red
05. Daniel Kandi & Robert Nickson – Liberate (Ruben de Ronde Remix)
06. Oceanlab – Sirens of the Sea (Cosmic Gate Rmx)
07. Super8 & Tab – Elektra
08. Cressida – 6am (Kyau & Albert Remix)
09. Armin van Buuren – In & Out of Love (Richard Durand Remix)
10. Dj Shah ft. Adrina Thorpe – Back to You (Aly & Fila Remix)
2008 was an amazing year again.
With a lot of great releases, dj tours, lots of frequent flyer miles and challenges.
Highlights for me this year was my dj performances in Kiev ‘Cream’, my Australia Tour and my NY residency for Core.
Music wise, i saw a lot of new faces and promising new artists.
So, I’m very confident that 2009 will be a fantastic year again M.I.K.E.
Here’s my top 10 for 2008 :
01 – Nic Chagall – Sky Blue
02 – Armin Van Buuren & Sharon Den Adel – In And Out Of Love (My son’s favourite tack of 2008!)
03 – Wippenberg – Chakalaka
04 – Markus Schossow – Swedish Beatballs
05 – Fast Distance – Heavens Melody
06 – Zoo Brasil – Crossroads
07 – Ferry Corsten – Radio Crash
08 – Klems – The Cube
09 – Push – Trance Indicator
10 – Delirium – Silence (Niels Van Gogh vs Thomas Gold remix)
Highlight story of my 2008 year stretch had to be arriving in Buenos
Aires and being told, “hey you have to sign a couple of insurance
forms”. “Why” I asked, and then I was told I would be harnessed and
descended into the dj booth in a 7 foot inflatable bubble from above
the third level of the club! Awesome!!!! Happy I signed, and it was
easily the highlight of my year.
Top 10 2008:
1. Sean Tyas & simon patterson – somethin’s up
2. Akesson – Perfect Blue
3. Activa – Remember
4. Thomas Bronzwaer – Titan
5. Inertia – The System (Tyas & Colontonio remix)
6. Orjan – Vivida
7. Talla2xlc vs Sean Tyas – Heart to Heart (Sean Tyas remix)
8. DJ Shah – Back to You (Aly & Fila remix)
9. Simon Patterson – Smack
10. Dave 202- Louvre
A Sneak Peak into 2009…
Find out what Armada Music has in stores for you in 2009…
- Armind Collected Extended Versions Volume 3
- Trance Top 100- 2009
- Lustral presents Trance Classics
- Armin van Buuren presents Imagine: the Remixes
- Armada Trance Volume 5
- Markus Schulz presents Toronto ’09