Paul Oakenfold - Barber's Adagio For StringsPRFCT055 - July 28th, 2014
This timeless piece of classical music returns from the original DJ who brought it to the electronic scene.
People may think that Tiesto, or even William Orbit brought Samuel Barbers 'Adagio For Strings' to the electronic music masses, but in fact it was the one and only Paul Oakenfold - its first airing on the cult classic 'Fluoro' mix from right back in 1996.
"I debated whether to make a cover of this one because there were already two massive covers in circulation - first William Orbit's take which was released in 1999 and was the first single from his album "Pieces in a Modern Style" which came out in 2000 and then Tiesto's big club version which came out in 2005 and which I think was one of the singles from his Just Be album (2004). But in the end every time I took Adagio out of the proposed Trance Mission tracklist - it felt incomplete. It was such an important record for me during that period (mid 90's when I used to play Barber's original through to mid 00's with all the different mixes that followed) and always got such a huge reaction whenever I played it. I've always wanted to make and release my own version - ever since we released the Skip Raiders take on it called "Another Day" which came out on Perfecto in 1999.
For my cover I wanted to make something completely aimed at the US scene. Something that would work really well in my sets in the US where I seem to spend the majority of my time touring.
I added a vocal to my new version which I know some people will see as sacrilege but I've never been one to conform to rules and regulations. Every time I play this out it literally takes the roof off. There is so much love out there for this record. Hats off to Samuel Barber. If only he was still around to see what his classical composition was doing to dancefloors worldwide today!"
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Radio Edit) (03:23)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Instrumental Radio Edit) (04:20)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (2Symmetry Radio Edit) (04:14)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Steve Haines & CBM Radio Edit) (04:19)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Refracture Radio Edit) (06:09)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Johnny Yono Radio Edit) (04:05)
- Blue Bottle (Radio Edit) (02:33)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Club Mix) (07:19)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Instrumental Mix) (07:19)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (2Symmetry Remix) (07:36)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Steve Haines & CBM Remix) (06:57)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Refracture Remix) (07:06)
- Barber's Adagio For Strings (Johnny Yono Remix) (06:01)
- Blue Bottle (Original Mix) (03:22)